Monday, October 4, 2010

Sorry Blogger...but is Facebook taking over the world?

I recently read an article about facebook's future plans.  I'm not going to pretend that I am not guilty of this cyber addiction, but I couldn't help but wonder the negative effects of this explosion of social networking.  With a little help from the texting phenomenon, face-to-face contact is not required to communicate.  I've noticed personally, that users often use facebook as a tool to say whatever they want with the comfort of having the ability to be miles away.  I've noticed that people use facebook to prove to their peers that they have an awesome and interesting lifestyle by posting pictures constantly and adding as many friends to their friends list as possible (even if they've only met once and will probably never meet again).  Last, I've noticed that facebook's grown so much that I can't delete my profile feeling like I've been cut off from the rest of the world.  It's become one of the most common ways to communicate.  So, when I read the article on the future plans of facebook, I wondered how far this was going to go.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article750838.ece.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I use facebook too. I always see people doing what you said and at times it is sickning. I wish people would just get that we don't need to no EVERYTHING about them. But I digress its just another fun fact of life. Some people are conceded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the site and it was down for me too. I agree with you. Everyone is so obsessed with facebook that I think it's just sad. I can see if people would like to use it just to communicate with friends and family. It’s not like that though. Some people log on several times a day and even need it on their cell phone as if they're so concerned they may miss some gossip if they don't check their page every hour. I think it’s funny what people like to waste their time on. Whatever happened to people going outside and straying away from a computer or television screen? I have to admit I have a facebook but I only feel it's necessary to log on once a week.

    ReplyDelete